Friday, January 8, 2010

The speed of life

Here I am.....speeding across central Germany, speeding away from the life I've known the past three months. Goodbyes were hard, and tears were many. Its hard to believe that this is it-the very thing we've been looking towards, been preparing for our entire time here in Germany. The excitement thats been building is a little tainted by the reality that the small town of herrnhut has become our home away from home. The things of our everyday routine have become a part of us. Sleeping in through part of lecture, getting woken up everyday by the same kid that jumps off the top bunk of his bed, making the horrible walk up Slow Death to town(the fitting name of a giant hill between the base and town), being around people 24/7(whether you wanted to be or not), making horrible instant coffee in our room, eating the same meat and cheese sandwiches every night, late night talks w/ best friends, horrid laundry duty, sitting on the student floor for hours on end with nothing to do, all-nighters for no reason, shopping in the boutique, the list goes on. But most of all, you begin to realize that each person that was with you has become a part of you. No matter how different from you they are, no matter how aggravating, people become a part of you, a part of life. Without each one of the 68 students in our school, it would never have been the same. And without these pieces of your life around, it just doesn't feel right sometimes. It can ALMOST be depressing sometimes to realize that that special time of lecture phase, that season of life is behind us, never to return.

But its with excitement and hope and trust in God that we look towards outreach, the blood and guts of this entire trip. When we finally get out of the bubble world of Herrnhut and the rubber hits the road. When feelings flare, faults are exposed, and God truly is the only thing we have. Can't wait!

As I watch our train eat up kilometer after kilometer(not miles, you stupid American), I can only think about my life. Just as the train picks up speed and pushes on to the destination, faster and faster, no stops in sight, so does my life. Life only continues to get faster and faster. Before I will know it I will be married (yes, I am engaged), then kids will come, then my career will pick up, and before I know I will look back and wonder how so much life has slipped unbeknowns through my grasping fingers. I only hope and pray that God helps me to make the most out of every moment, and do the most I can with every moment given to me. I am so thankful for this trip and the meaning it has already had on my life. God, help me not to take it for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment