Thursday, October 1, 2009

The beginnings....

Here I am, sitting in the "castle" (the main building at the base, where classes are held). What a day of traveling yesterday!!! I had an 8 hr 15 min flight here to Frankfurt. Landed in Frankfurt and was completely confused! Not only is it a HUGE airport, it doesn't seem to be very user friendly (the German way-incredible engineering, not always the most common sense). I ran around with my HEAVY bags (a 20-25 lb backpack, 30 lb carry-on suitcase, and 45 lb. suitcase) trying to find an outlet for my laptop so I could call home and still get to the train. I ended up walking in circles for an HOUR simply looking for an outlet (apparently they don't believe in electronics). After sweating profusely and probably looking like a complete idiot to hundreds of people I found one in some little corner behind a flight of stairs where I hooked up and was able to talk to my dad and Missy. Then, what do you know, they soon made me MOVE!!! ARG!! The frustration was not cool, but I was still in good spirits. Went to the German Rail station and got checked in, then waited on my train for about half an hour. When the train came I lugged my huge load of baggage onto the train, but had no idea where to go or where to sit, so I ended up standing in the middle of two cars for my 10 minute ride. Once we arrived at the next stop I had to run to the next train because we were running late (while trying to roll two suitcases behind me at the same time and keep my ticket and everything in place). Once I hopped in the train, I still had no idea where to sit (my ticket was all in German) so I began walking around looking for someone to help me (which means trying to drag my suitcase through the aisles where it JUUUUST fits, so naturally running over people's feet and seeing everyone point and laugh at the stupid American). Finally I randomly found an information center on the train (after walking through TWO cars) that I didn't know was there and he pointed me to my sit. Sat down, very sweaty right next to someone and wondered how bad I smelled, haha! But I was getting there. Loved the scenery and tried to sleep, without much luck. Their countryside is beautiful. Looks much like ours, except with awesome little towns among the rolling hills. I love it. Their train system is AMAZING!! You can go pretty much anywhere in the country for under $150 and its unbelievable how efficient and perfectly timed it all is. I wish America would take some notes. Finally got to my last stop, where I had to hop on a bus. As I was getting on the bus, everyone was handing the driver their money. I gave the driver my online ticket (which had all my train rides and bus ride on it). He looked at it for a little then started talking to be angrily in German. I explained to him (in German) that I don't understand German well and am not sure what he's saying. He kept muttering stuff angrily in Germany then looking at me. Finally he handed me the ticket and pointed me to get on the bus. What was I supposed to do???? I finally got to the bus stop....couldn't wait to see someone holding that sign for YWAM....and there was NO ONE!! After standing there trying to decide what to do, a lady walked up to me and asked if I was from YWAM. I said yes and she said follow me (all in German, she didn't understand English). We talked a little and I figured out she's a cook one day a week here at the base, and HAPPENED to be working at the bus station right when I got there. If she had not been working at the time, no one would have been there (due to a miscommunication). As we were walking I told her all I wanted to do was eat, drink, and sleep, jokingly. (with my awesome German skills) I had a very light breakfast on the airplace at 5:30 AM and didn't eat OR drink until I got to her house around 4:30 PM. She immediately took me to her house where she fed me and made me tea, cappucino, and gave me a cold glass of water (yes, it was CARBONATED-they think tap water is disgusting and bad for you). She then brought me to the base, where I got settled in and met TONS of people, none of whose name will I remember. Until later, Tschus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment